While the 4th cohort of ToasterLAB is cooking, what else is happening the the FoodTech and Agtech world? Food science, blockchain, AgTech, DeliveryTech, startup advice… Don’t go on holiday without reading our news roundup!
Foodscience and food business transformations
Food business has never had access to so much scientific knowledge. Sensors for combatting food waste, personalised nutrition for each individual, meat from a laboratory etc. If our mentalities are not always keeping up with progress, there are nonetheless promises of major innovations on the horizon.
- Scientists Transform NFC Tags Into Spoiled Meat Sensors
- Prenetics: Genetics and personalisation are converging – it won't be long until nutrigenomics is mainstream
- “Clean” meat needs a rebrand. Here’s an idea: call it “craft” instead
Traceability, production: machines at the service of tomorrow’s food
Self-driving cars, blockchain, AI and cobots: from the factory to retail, food businesses are getting ready to take advantange of intelligent and high-performance machines, for better control of production and traceability all the way down the food value chain. But also as a tool for 21st century consumers for which we are already seeing the first applications.
- Carrefour To Implement Blockchain Technology in its Grocery Stores
- Industrial robot sales increase worldwide by 31 percent
- America’s largest supermarket chain is launching a fully driverless delivery service
AgTech: feeding the world, sustainably
Precision agriculture, urban agriculture, soil-less growing, hydroponics… Technological progress is allowing agriculture to find innovative solutions to environmental, health and food security problems, in the face of an exploding global population. Even going so far as to grow food on another planet? If that seems to be from the realm of science fiction (thanks, Matt Damon), agriculture has never been so close to that goal…
- Scientists in Antarctica Grow Food Without Soil or Sunlight — Get Ready, Mars
- What business models for urban agriculture (in French)
- What food and agriculture challenges are being met by FoodTech (in French)
- The 25 Most Innovative AgTech Startups In 2018
Advice for food startups
Is your startup about to get into bed with a large company? Among the last 3 cohorts of ToasterLAB (as a reminder, cohort 4 is about to get underway), many of them have gone down this road. ScanUp, for example, has signed a contract with French retailer Franprix, and will soon be doing the same with Carrefour and Monoprix. They share their experience in an article below.
Advice from mentors, sharing experiences with other startups: sign up below to get updates on our articles and the upcoming applications calls for ToasterLAB!
Our previous 'All About FoodTech' bulletins:
- All about FoodTech June 2018 bulletin
- All about FoodTech May 2018 bulletin
- All about FoodTech April 2018 bulletin
- All about FoodTech March 2018 bulletin
- All about FoodTech December 2017 bulletin
- All about FoodTech November 2017 bulletin
- All about FoodTech October 2017 bulletin
- All about FoodTech September 2017 bulletin
- All about FoodTech August 2017 bulletin
- All about FoodTech June 2017 bulletin
- All About FoodTech: May 2017 bulletin
- All About FoodTech: April 2017 bulletin
- All About FoodTech: March 2017 bulletin
- All About FoodTech: February 2017 bulletin
- All About FoodTech: January 2017 bulletin
By Claire VO.
ToasterLAB Program Manager, Claire "VO" is in charge of our start-ups' post-acceleration as well as intrapreneurship. After 12 years with Vitagora, Claire's unparalleled knowledge of our network is put to good use while integrating our startups into the food business ecosystem! E-mail her at: email@example.com